Tuesday, September 23, 2008

MOM'S never fail Pie Crust

Tricia forced me to do this. I just cannot stand whining and begging.
So here it is, the pie crust she never learned to make. Not that she did not have the opportunity, cause she did.

5 cups flour
2 cups crisco
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 eggs and enough water to equal 1 cup
1 teaspoon of salt.

Put flour, salt and crisco into a bowl. Cut together until it resembles small peas.
Measure water and eggs together. Add the vinegar to the water/egg mixture.
Beat eggs, water and vinegar together. Pour over the flour, crisco and salt mixture. Toss together lightly. Do NOT overmix. When you have worked the dry into the wet, you can lightly flour your board, take a pie sized section of the dough and roll it into a circle large enough to fit your pan. Place into pan and fill with your ingredients. Make another circle to fit the top of your pie. Moisten the edge of the crust that is in the pan and fit the top over it. Be sure you cut slits into the top to let steam escape. Crimp the edges together and cut off the extra crust that hangs over.
This makes enough crust for four or five pies depending on size and thickness of roll out.
Bake and enjoy.
Easy

4 comments:

Tulsi said...

I had this award I was going to do for you before I left for Oklahoma, and now I see you already have it. See how cute and loved your blog is. Come on over if you have time. It's near the bottom of Sept. 23 blogs.

Trish said...

it's NOT the recipe that I need,
it's the process. I have recipes.

Make a video.

It didn't sound like whining to me, it sounded like I was singing your glorious praises. Oh well, next time I'll whine.

Lindsay said...

I think I'll try it - we are going to pick apples in a couple of weeks for homemade cider but we usually have leftovers.

Laurel said...

Thanks for visiting my blog last night.

If you're an hour north of Seattle, I'm an hour north of you. :)

This is the pie crust recipe that I use ... got it from my Grandma. I get rave reviews on my crust and no one can believe it has vinegar in it. The few friends I have that do bake pies, actually buy the pre-made crusts. Yuck!

I make my apple pies in an 11 x 15 deep dish casserole pan. Works out better than 3 small pies for our family.

If you go back to my blog and click on the "Africa" posts, you'll read all about our 6 weeks in Ghana (to bring the kids home). Or, just scroll down to last February and March.

Enjoy your trip to Africa.

(I have an email address listed on my blog, if you want to be in touch.)

Laurel
mama of 13

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails