Saturday, February 21, 2009

96 and Counting

This picture was taken two years ago. The four generations.
Elizabeth in the sweater and hat gramma knit. She wishes it were purple, but I was looking for a more neutral color for it. It is an aran pattern.
Elizabeth and GG today. Elizabeth is wearing the dress I made her. It is a white eyelet trimmed in her favorite color.

We had an unplanned lunch at Red Robin. Here the wait people are singing Happy Birthday to her.


Today is Elizabeth and GG's birthdays. Together they are 96 years old. GG is 88 and Elizabeth is 8.
What a blessing it is to have both of these beautiful people in my life.
My mother is a Saint. Literally. She raised 12 children in very poor circumstances. My father was a very talented man, but had a very bad habit, (drink) that kept us from ever having anything. My mother kept us together and loved each of us for who we were. Happy Birthday Mama, I love you so deeply and am so thankful that you are still in my life. I know our time is growing shorter and I dread the day I have to say a final earthly goodby to you. I look forward to you never being in pain though and I know that the only way that is going to happen is when our Lord takes you to his own.

Elizabeth (#6314) was born on her GG's 80th birthday. She is a beautiful and delightful child. She loves to help her grandma with cleaning when she comes to visit. She is very tender with her younger cousins and loving to everyone she meets. Elizabeth, you are the "Delight of my life" and I am very proud to be your gramma.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TWO OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN MY LIFE
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Frizzy said...

How special to share a birthday with her GG. What a beautiful photo of the women in your family. I LOVE IT! Happy Birthday GG and Elizabeth.

Homestay Mama said...

I like all the pics in your post today, but the four generation portrait is the best! Eveyone looks so happy. :-)

Love that sweater and hat. I envy your talent, Evy!

Happy Birthday, Elizabeth and GG. May you celebrate many more birthdays together.

*Hugs*

Dawn said...

Beautiful pics and tribute to your mom. Happy Birthday to both!

Glenda, saved by grace said...

Happy birthday to your mom and your little Elizabeth. Tomorrow is my b-day. I love February!
I understand your words to your Mama, I lost mine (temporarily) last May.

Unknown said...

I love the pics! Happy Birthday to them both!

Sarah - Kala said...

Happy Birthday to both lovelies! Wonderful tribute to your loved ones.

I love Red Robin. The one downtown Seattle was my fav with the several different levels inside. I wonder if it's still there. Anyway, there are a few of them in MD now . . . so I don't have to do w/out. Yet. When I get to HI, I don't think there is one there. The burgers would probably be about $15 anyway. Yikes!

Your sewing and knitting skills are too wonderful. I love that sweater and hat!

Julie said...

what a beautiful post and tribute to both your mom and granddaughter! Thanks for sharing :)

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

love love love that top photo, especially! And your handwork never ceases to amaze me :)

grammy said...

Happy Birthday to yours. They are both beautiful. Your mom sounds great. My mom has been gone for about 6 years. Just the other day I thought about calling her. Not like in heaven...just forgot she wasn't there. No, I am not crazy (o: It just makes me smile when I have thoughts of her like that.

Cristie :) said...

Okay so one of our 1st phone conversations talked about our hobbies and crafts. You mentioned that you liked knitting...I didn't come close to the idea that you were an EXPERT knitter! I WON'T be bringing my little scarf and hat around that's for sure!!! I'm amazed a little more each blog I read of your talent! :)

Suzanne said...

This is so beautiful and I'm going to cry, but its a cry that is from the heart because we don't find enough stories to share like this one! You are so blessed!

Therese said...

my daughter was born on her Great Grandma's birthday too. It is a special blessing.

Mia Cronan said...

I am SO happy that I found your blog and will be adding it today to the blogs that I follow. It's just too darned bad we live so far apart. I'd love to sit and knit with you, and chat about politics. It sounds like we're on the same page!

Lil Miss Red T-Shirt said...

I like the new "LinkedWithin" addition. Or, maybe it's not new and I just didn't notice it? Well, anyway, I stumbled on this post from that.

12 siblings... whoa. Cool to have photos of your 4 generations together.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails