Monday, April 13, 2009

Up Every Hour

last night. I think some of it is that she is frightened. She does not like to be alone so she goes to the bathroom for attention. I have had her tested three times for a UTI since she had her last one. It is almost noon and I have just gotten her settled down for a nap. I hope she sleeps cause I have a house to clean too. After she wakes up I need to shower her and change her bedding.
I did call a home health care agency and will make an appointment to talk with her today. It is owned by a Christian couple. Of course that is not always insurance that all will go well, but it does give a certain level of confidence and comfort. I just got prices from her to start with. Of course mother is loath to spend the money ($1200.00) so I told her I am making an executive decision and hiring them. I will have them come in five days a week for six hours a day. They will attend to mothers personal needs as well as do her light housework and laundry. This way my brother can go to work and know she is being well taken care of. I have two other brothers who are around the house throughout the day. That way someone will always be there to keep check. I will be there on Monday to meet with the person and show her the ropes. Hopefully a couple of my sisters will be able to check in on other days during the week.
Through this we will also prevail.

9 comments:

Cristie :) said...

I'm so glad you found a health care provider that you and the family feel comfortable with. AFter working in home health for a few years I can tell you it is a blessing for the family AND the one receiving the care. My prayers are with you and your Mom as you jouney down this path.

Tatersmama said...

I know it isn't easy making these kinds of decisions, but you're in my thoughts and prayers.
And it's good that family members are there to take some of the worry off you...
{{{hugs}}}

Sarah - Kala said...

What a tough decision to have to make, but I think a good one for everyone. Be sure of my prayers for all of you. You are a good daughter!

Homestay Mama said...

Breathe, Evy, breathe. You're going to make it. Your Blogland sistahs are all hanging in there for ya!

Greywolfe said...

I don't know about "sistahs" but I'm out here praying for you too. It's a tough spot you are in. My mother in law is currently in a Nursing home because we couldn't afford to get help outside a nursing facility. She had a stroke about 2 1/2 years ago and if you add in her Cerebral Palsy, it's more than we could physically do.

So, God bless you and yours. I'm glad you have a middle ground you can walk.

Julie said...

I am just now catching up on reading some blogs and I am so sorry your mom has gone through all of this. I am also sorry you are exhausted...that is not helpful under the circumstances. I will be praying that the health care providers you found will be a blessing to your whole family!!!!

Pautlitz Blog said...

Evy,
You are in my thoughts during this time in your life. I don't know from experience what your going through but when I put myself in your position I think how hard it would be to see my mom become so helpless.

Life is funny. We start out needing people to take care of us and we end the same way.

All my prayers,
Jen

Frizzy said...

Oh, such a hard decision to make but it's a good one! Hopefully she'll see how helpful they are and will hate to let them go in the end. I can't tell you how proud of you all I am for taking such good care of your mom. It's got to be THE hardest job going from the role of Child to Parent and vise verse. Prayers and hugs to you all!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Thanks everyone. I was a bit discouraged tonight. It is good to come here and see all of your nice notes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails