Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cinnamon/Dinner Rolls

This recipe comes from my 90 year old aunt.  Her cooking prowess was well known in the Yakima Valley of Washington State.   She was published several times in local newspapers.  It is my go to recipe.  My copy is handwritten in the center of a letter from her.  On a now, very stained piece of yellow legal sized tablet.
2 cups of milk scalded.  Aunt Deb uses 1 can of canned milk with enough water to equal 2 cups.
                                     I did not have any canned milk when I made these so I substituted 1 cup of milk and
                                     one cup of very heavy whipping cream.  Can you say RICH!!
1 T salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg yeast proofed in 1/4 cup warm water and 1 T sugar.
2 eggs
7 cups flour

Scald milk, add salt, sugar, margarine and 3 cups of flour.  (I have a kitchen-aide so I use it and the dough hook to mix all together.)
Be sure the milk is not to hot.  It will kill the yeast if it is.  Add yeast and eggs and beat again.  Add the rest of the flour.  At this point you may have to knead by hand if your mixer is not strong enough to mix the dough.
It is a VERY soft dough.  You may need to add a little flour to be able to knead it by hand.  Do not add to much though, you want the dough to be soft and not stiff.
Place into a greased bowl and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  It should be very close to double in size.
It is at this point that you either pinch it off into rolls or roll it out into cinnamon rolls.
If you are rolling into cinnamon rolls, roll into a rectangle, about 3/8th of an inch thick.
For the filling, I melt 1 cube of real butter, add brown sugar.  (I don't know how much.)  You want it to be kind of thick yet spreadable.  I think I may add close to 1/4 cup of cinnamon.  Play with this, it is dependent upon what your tastes are.  I spread this over the dough.  You can add nuts and raisins if you like.  I prefer them plain.
Roll into a roll like pictured in the blog below.  Slice into about 3/4 inch slices and place into a greased pan.  Do not crowd.  If I am using a 8x13 pan, I put 3 across and 4 down.  Or 12 per pan. I usually have more dough than one pan, but not enough for another large pan.  I think I get four more rolls from my measurements.  I just bake those in a smaller pan.
Cover and let rise for almost an hour.  In a warm place.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.  I am kind of vague on this one because I go by smell and not time.  When you take them out, just pull them apart a little in the middle to be sure the dough has cooked through.  If not put them back for a few minutes.
For the frosting, I use one cube of butter.  (I like butter)  1-8 oz pkg of cream cheese, 1t vanilla.  Mix this all together until smooth and creamy.  Add powdered (10X) sugar until spreading consistency.  This makes a huge amount of frosting, but what you do not use can be frozen.  Spread over warm rolls, pour a glass of milk and ENJOY:)

I might say Aunt Deb is still with us, but she has slowed down a bit in her cooking.  She does still live in her home and is sharp as a tack.

2 comments:

Lil Miss Red T-Shirt said...

YAYYY. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure if I could muster these up, but I've got to try. I've never actually tried making anything with whipping cream or canned milk. Or, brown sugar... or basically anything. I tried to make a pound cake this season and it nearly turned out. Handwritten recipes are the best... aww.

Roslyn said...

I have a similar recipe Evy & I do add the nuts. Make them for Christmas morning, yum yum, heaps & heaps of fat & bad carbs, yummo!
Christmas is a coming...........

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails